Economy Specialised Personnel Key Industries Companies by Industry Partners / Networks Commercial Areas / Real Estate Business Development Service Offerings Subsidisation Funds Partners in the Region
Living and Working Cities Annaberg-Buchholz Aue Brand-Erbisdorf Freiberg Marienberg Oelsnitz/Erzgebirge Olbernhau Schneeberg Schwarzenberg Stollberg Zschopau Zwönitz Erzgebirge District Education Culture/Sports/Living Culture in the Erzgebirge Sports in the Erzgebirge Young Erzgebirge Your Future in the Erzgebirge Jobs
Tourism Holiday Region Holiday Themes Fit & Active History & Tradition Experience & Enjoyment Lodging & Travel Packages Events Current Events Athletic Events Cultural Events Christmas in the Erzgebirge
Cities in the Erzgebirge
You could live well here...
Silver deposits gave the Erzgebirge their name, and mining has had a great impact upon the historical development of the region. The silver ribbon still encircles the entire area, from the university city of Freiberg to the mining and Adam-Ries city of Annaberg-Buchholz and the school city of Schneeberg.
On the following pages we present the twelve largest cities in the Erzgebirge along with the Erzgebirge District. Let yourself be enchanted by the Erzgebirge along these virtual city journeys.
The mining and Adam-Ries city in the Erzgebirge
Bridge and sports city of the Erzgebirge
The mining city of Brand-Erbisdorf
University city in the Erzgebirge
Renaissance in the Erzgebirge
Coal mining city in the Erzgebirge
The “family friendly city” in the Erzgebirge
School city in the Erzgebirge
The "Pearl of the Erzgebirge"
At the foot of the Erzgebirge – in the heart of Europe
Mining city in the Erzgebirge with horsepower
An old mining city with a future
The most populous district in Eastern Germany
Interesting Facts about the cities in the Erzgebirge
Did you know that...
- ... seals for the ARIANE space flight program were fabricated in Annaberg-Buchholz?
- … that compared to Venice, Aue has more bridges per square kilometre?
- … Brand-Erbisdorf offers a location for more than 800 firms?
- … Freiberg served as the source for the exciting novels of best-selling author Sabine Ebert?
- …the largest adventure pool in Saxony, the AQUA MARIEN is located in Marienberg?
- ... the area within 30 km of Oelsnitz/Erzgebirge has a population of more than a million people?
- … The Einhorn brothers built an electricity plant in 1892 in Olbernhau?
- ... technical school programmes in fashion design and musical instrument construction are also offered in Schneeberg?
- ... a company in Schwarzenberg was involved in the largest experiment in the world on energy production by means of fusion?
- ... in the last few years, Stollberg has developed into one of the most important industrial sites on the Autobahn A 72?
- ... in Zwönitz the indebtedness per resident amounts to only 166 Euro?
- ... the Olympic champions Jens Weißflog and Silke Otto, along with other Olympic contenders, such as René Sommerfeld and Björn Kircheisen made their sportive home in the Erzgebirge District?