Erzgebirge Regional Management, Saxony
Regionalmanagement Erzgebirge
Adam-Ries-Straße 16, D-09456 Annaberg-Buchholz
 
date: 29.05.2017

Marienberg | Erzgebirge Regional Management, Saxony

 

 
Sprachauswahl Sitemap
 
 
 
You are here:Living and WorkingCitiesMarienberg
 
 
 

The City of Marienberg

The Renaissance in the Erzgebirge

Stadt Marienberg - St. Marienkirche
City of Marienberg - St. Marienkirche
The history of Marienberg began in 1521 with the discovery of rich silver deposits in the heart of the Erzgebirge. At that time in Europe, the Renaissance was overcoming the confinements of the dark middle ages to open the way toward a newly enlivened spirit filled with a natural sensibility. Being founded just at the moment when a new cultural epoch was dawning, with a new image of humanity, provided both opportunity and challenge for Marienberg.

The orderly layout of the landmarked city remains today as the only preserved Italian Renaissance ideal city north of the Alps. The square marketplace is one of the largest in Germany with an area of 1.77 hectares, and was extensively restored between 2009 and 2010. Today, many preserved monuments and portals still bear witness to the beginnings of the Renaissance in the Erzgebirge.

Two special witnesses to the historical mining past of Marienberg have experienced their own special renaissance at the beginning of the 21st century. With the reconstruction of the visitor’s mine works known as, “Pferdegöpel auf dem Rudolphschacht in Lauta”, a horse-driven hoist structure from the 18th century, an above ground and underground mining ensemble came back into operation in 2006 as a demonstration site for visitors.

The historically revealing mining storage depot, constructed in the years 1806-1809 because of the devastating famine of 1770-1772, is the last remaining grain silo from the mining period in the Erzgebirge. In 2006, after extensive reconstruction, it became the home of the bilingual “Saxon-Bohemian Erzgebirge Museum.” To this day, the four-story quarry stone structure fascinates visitors with its interior heavy wood beam construction, which penetrates all the stories of the building. The economic development of Marienberg was primarily based upon silver and tin mining. Alongside, a guild artisan industry flourished together with a notable market presence connected with long-distance trade along the market roads between Leipzig and Prague.

Today, Marienberg’s success as a business location serves as an anchor for the culture of the mining city. Whether one considers SCHERDEL Marienberg GmbH, numerous small and mid-sized businesses, or especially the large Federal Armed Forces garrison—all of these serve to connect the economic and the cultural life of Marienberg.
 
To the Internet site of the mining city of Marienberg
 

Geographical Location of Marienberg


The City of Marienberg show on a bigger map
 
show map

Contact Information for Marienberg

City Administration of Marienberg

Markt 1
Marienberg

Tel: +49 3735 602 0
Fax: +49 3735  223 07

Send e-mail
 
www.marienberg.de

Did you know that...

  • …the largest adventure pool in Saxony, the AQUA MARIEN is located in Marienberg?
  • … the last of the late-gothic hall churches in the region of upper Saxony, the St. Marien Church, is located in Marienberg?
  • … Marienberg includes a total of 13 rural districts, and thus extends up to the ridge of the Erzgebirge?
  • … in the Marienberg district of Satzung there is a basalt rock formation that has been designated as a “National Geotope” and is thus one of the most important geotopes in Germany?